We recently sat down with Nick Jonas and fashion designer, John Varvatos–who just launched a new tequila brand called, Villa One with Stoli Group–and Nick could not stop raving about his favourite ways to enjoy tequila. So I thought, why not share some of these recipes. Although some of them are not his exact recipes (as he may be trying to keep them a secret), others are bang on.
RELATED: How to Make a Refreshing Pink Spritz Mocktail. >>>
4 Ways Nick Jonas likes to Enjoy Tequila—Especially with Villa One
Although he obviously was suggesting them with Villa One’s Silver, Anejo and Reposado’s tequila lineup; these could definitely be adapted with alternative tequila options (as we know availability is still quite limited in Canada). But, hopefully soon enough you will get to try it with Villa One tequila as they continue to roll out across the country. 😉
1. Grapefruit Soda, with Reposado Tequila
Which he says is one if his favourite expressions of their Villa One line up.
- Ice cubes
- 2 oz. Reposado Villa One tequila
- Fever-Tree club soda, or similar (#WEsuggestion: or maybe upgrade to the new Fever-Tree Grapefruit Soda to play on the grapefruit flavour Nick mentions)
- Slice of Grapefruit or Orange (as seen here)
- Fill a collins glass with ice.
- Sparingly pour in about 2 oz of Villa One Reposado tequila, or similar
- Top with the Fever-Tree club soda, or similar
- Garnish with a slice of grapefruit or orange
Photo + Cocktail: Villa One
2. Spicy Margarita, with Silver Tequila
- 1.5 oz of silver/blanco tequilla, in his case, Villa One
- 3/4 oz Peach Syrup
- 1/2 oz RinQuinQuin or Peach Schnapps if RinQuinQuin is unavailable
- 1 oz Fresh Lime Juice
- 3 slices Jalapeno
- 1 tbsp Mixture of Himalayan and Maldon Salt
- Rim an old-fashioned glass with the salt mixture.
- In a shaker filled with ice, muddle one jalapeno and add your Villa One tequila, Peach Syrup, RinQuinQuin and lime juice and shake.
- Strain over a single large ice cube into the rimmed glass, and garnish with two jalapeños slices.
Photo & Cocktail by: Monica Carbonell
3. Bloody Maria, with Silver Tequila
Although not his particular recipe, on our call he called out a Bloody Maria, which is a take on a Bloody Mary (the American version of a Caesar) with tequila, I put together the following recipe for you.
- Ice cubes
- 2 oz of blanco tequila, in his case, Villa One silver
- 4 oz tomato juice
- 1/2 oz lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 tablespoon prepared horseradish, to taste
- 4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 2 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 2 dashes Tapatio hot sauce
- 1 pinch celery salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- Jalapeno to garnish
- Add the tequila, tomato juice, lemon juice, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, Tapatio, celery salt and black pepper to a shaker and fill with ice.
- Shake briefly and strain into a pint glass filled with fresh ice.
- Pour into the collins glass.
- Garnish as you wish, but I like a lime wedge, jalapeño and bacon–Nick on the other hand, seems minimalistic (the jalapeño would likely do).
4. Simply Chocolate Cocktail, with Reposado Tequila
The perfect aperitif, which John Varvatos says sounds like the perfect Holiday cocktail–and we tend to agree! But he also enjoys the Anejo, neat with a side of chocolate to, “to pull out some of those chocolate flavours,” as Nick Jonas mentioned on our virtual interview. In the video, he uses “Simply Chocolate” but in Canada, a great alternative would be Green & Black’s premium chocolate which is easily available at local grocers and pharmacies across Canada. Need we say more?
As Nick Jonas and John Varvatos say, cheers…
“to life as it should be, staying up all night (Nick), and Holidays (John).”Nick Jonas and John Varvatos
I couldn’t have said it better myself. Bottoms up, WanderEaters (which includes drinkers)! 😉
Disclosure: This article is not sponsored, but the Villa One team hosted our team for a guided tequila tasting with gifted product ahead of the Ontario LCBO launch. Opinions are our own and not prior reviewed for approval by the brand.