When you think of St. Patrick’s Day, enjoying a drink (or more!) is always one of the first things that come to mind as people celebrate the Irish holiday. To accompany your green attire and green decorations, a St.Paddy’s inspired drink is what will really get you in a festive mood.
In order to commemorate the occasion taking place on Friday, March 17th, experts at drinks retailer The Bottle Club have compiled their pick of the most delicious and unique green Irish-inspired drinks to shake up.
Here are six unique green cocktails you make this St.Patrick’s Day
Spice up any St Patrick’s Day party with these eye-catching Shamrock Shooters. A sweet and creamy combination of melon liqueur, Irish cream and Irish Whisky, because it wouldn’t be St Patricks Day without some classic Irish spirits now would it?
If you want to take your Shamrock Shooter up a level, get creative and decorate with whipped cream and sprinkles or lucky charms (depending on your sweet tooth levels).
- 7.5ml of Irish Cream
- 7.5ml of Irish Whisky
- 30ml of Melon Liqueur
- Whipped Cream (optional)
- Measure out the ingredients.
- Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake well.
- Strain into a shot glass, top with whipped cream if desired, and serve.
Irish Frog Cocktail
The Irish frog is a layered shot that creates a creamy, melon-flavoured shooter, and it’s super easy to make. To create the delicious taste of an Irish frog, simply float Irish cream on top of Midori. The liqueurs have such distinct densities that the cream will naturally float on top of the melon liqueur.
- 22.5ml chilled Melon Liqueur
- 22.5ml chilled Irish Cream Liqueur
- Pour the Midori melon liqueur into a shot glass, filling it halfway.
- Float the Irish cream on top: Hold a bar spoon upside down over the drink and slowly pour the Irish cream over it, moving the spoon up as the glass fills.
The Irish Trashcan
If you’re looking for a drink that’s sure to keep you on the dance floor till the early hours on the 17th, look no further than The Irish Trash Can. This energized cocktail is like the lovechild of a Long Island Ice Tea and a Vodka Redbull, and we’re not mad at it. The drink isn’t to be taken lightly though, with three spirits and two liqueurs, it certainly packs a powerful punch!
- 30ml of Vodka
- 30ml of Gin
- 30ml of Rum
- 30ml of Triple Sec
- 30ml of Blue Curaçao
- 15 ml of Peach Schnapps
- Pour Blue Curaçao into the base of a tall glass and fill it with ice.
- Pour over vodka, gin, rum, triple sec, and peach schnapps.
- Top with an energy drink and leave the can inserted.
If you’re a gin fan, you should add the Southside cocktail to your repertoire this St Paddys. Ask your nearest bartender or cocktail historian to describe the South Side, and you’ll likely receive a variety of responses. Some say it’s a Gimlet with mint that’s served up in a cocktail glass. Others describe it as a gin-based Mint Julep served over ice. Either way, it combines some of our favourite flavour combos; Gin + lemon + mint = delicious.
- 5 mint leaves
- 30ml lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 60ml Gin
- 30ml simple syrup
- Garnish: mint sprig
- Add the mint leaves and lemon juice into a shaker and gently muddle.
- Add the gin and simple syrup with ice, and shake until well-chilled.
- Double-strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish with a mint sprig.
El Nino Cocktail
If you’re after a more refreshing, tropical drink this St Patrick’s Day, you will love the El Niño cocktail. This mouth-watering vodka mixed drink combines Peach Schnapps, blue curacao, pineapple juice, orange juice, vodka, and soda water. Garnish with a pineapple wedge and a cherry to max out the tropical aura of this bad boy.
- 45ml Vodka
- 30ml Peach Schnapps
- 15ml Blue Curacao
- 60ml Pineapple Juice
- 60ml Orange Juice
- Splash of Soda Water
- Garnish: Banana Wedge, Cherry
- Shake all ingredients with ice except the soda water.
- Strain mix into an ice-filled glass. Add a splash of soda water.
- Garnish with pineapple and a cherry.
The Jelly Bean
The Jelly Bean is a fun, layered drink with flavours that taste like the candy it’s named after. The three liqueurs are poured on top of each other, in the order listed, with the heaviest on the bottom and the lightest on top. This creates a triple-layered shot drink that looks great in the glass and is perfect for some extra special St Paddy’s celebrations.
- 15ml Blue Curacao
- 30ml Cherry Vodka
- 45m) Pineapple Juice
- Pour blue curaçao into the base of the glass before gently layering pineapple juice on top.
- Finish with a layer of cherry vodka.