The Old-Fashioned is as classic as it gets, and it’s consistently the most ordered cocktail in North America and is perfect for any occasion & taste. The better the bourbon, the better the cocktail (duh). As we find ourselves longing for a balanced cocktail at the end of the day, however, even going through the hassle of building a single portion might seem more inconvenient than cracking a beer or popping a bottle of wine (or White Claw…). The solution is simple: pre-batch your cocktail! Think of it as meal prep, but more rewarding.
Here’s how to make the perfect old-fashioned cocktail recipe!
Ingredients for a single cocktail:
- 2oz bourbon
- 0.25oz simple syrup*
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- Orange Peel for garnish
- Combine ingredients in a mixing glass, add ice and stir vigorously for 7-10 seconds.
- Strain onto fresh ice in an old-fashioned glass.
- Peel a thin slice of orange, express the zest of the cocktail and drop the peel on top.
Ingredients for a batch:
- 18oz bourbon
- 2.25oz simple syrup*
- 4oz water
- 20 dashes Angostura bitters
- Orange Peel for garnish (cut to each serving)
- Combine the ingredients together and pour back into the same bottle of bourbon.
- Label and keep in the fridge.
- Now simply pour ~3oz straight from the bottle onto ice when you’re ready to consume & garnish with an orange peel.
Note that the water in the recipe accounts for the dilution you would normally get when stirring the cocktail.
*Simple Syrup: measure 1 cup sugar and 1 cup boiling water (separately). Combine & stir until sugar is dissolved. Let cool & refrigerate for up-to 2 weeks.
Photo & Recipe: Rus Yessenov