Did you know that today is National Pickle Day? Well now that you do, it’s time to get the pickle party started! If anyone knows pickles, it’s Matt & Steve and we’re sharing the brand’s top tips for pickling and even how to make the Extreme Bean Caesar Shrimp Shot. If you’ve never pickled something before and have always wanted to, then this is your time. Pickling is surprisingly easy and let’s be honest — everything tastes better when you make it yourself!
Here are some tips for how to make your own pickles like a pro!
Tip #1: You can’t make a good pickle from a bad vegetable — start with quality
Tip #2: Vinegar does matter, you will need a minimum 5% acetic acid
- Tip #3: Safety first! Wear gloves and eye protection as you’re working with boiling liquids at around 212 F and a pH of 2-3
- Tip #4: Most people think salt is for taste, which is true but it also acts as a natural preservative and firming agent. If you want crunch, don’t forget about the salt!
- Tip #5: Have some fun with the flavour, don’t be afraid to turn up the taste with fresh herbs and spices!
- The long and short of it is that time and temperature are important parts of pickling. If you don’t leave your jars in the boiling water for long enough, you might not kill all the bacteria which will decrease your pickle’s shelf life. However, if you leave it in too long, you could overcook and soften your pickles. Every vegetable is a little different but keep in mind that it’s better to error on the side of too long with more heat because a softer pickle is better than a rotten one.
Wondering how to make the Extreme Bean Caesar Shrimp Shot? Keep reading to find out!
- Extreme Bean Hot & Spicy
- Cocktail Shrimp
- Clam juice mix
- Matt & Steve’s Caesar Rim
- Extreme Bean Brine
- Lime Juice
- In a mixing pitcher add 5 oz. Clamato Juice, 2 oz. Vodka, splash of lime juice, Extreme Bean Brine & Worcestershire (should make 10 shots, adjust the mix for more or less)
- Rim shot glasses with Matt & Steve’s Caesar Rim
- Pour mix into each rimmed shot glass to just under the rim
- Place cocktail shrimp across the shot glass
- Chop Extreme Bean in half and garnish