Who doesn’t love a cake pop? They’re the perfect little bite if you’re needing something sweet and don’t want to have a whole cake to yourself. These are to make, they’re a great treat to make over the holidays with the kids. This recipe, courtesy of our friends at Duncan Hines, couldn’t be any easier thanks to the addition of the brand’s irresistible cake mix and frosting.
Here’s how to make these super cute reindeer cake pops!
- 1 box Duncan Hines French Vanilla Cake Mix
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tub Duncan Hines Vanilla Frosting
- 1 (99 g) Snack Pack® Chocolate Pudding Cup
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp (10 mL) coconut oil, melted
- 8 oz (250 g) chocolate candy melts, melted
- 14 lollipop sticks
- 28 candy eyes
- 14 red candies
- 28 pretzel twists
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) for metal and glass pan (or 325°F/160°C for dark or coated pan). Grease sides and bottom of 13×9-inch (3 L) baking pan; dust lightly with flour.
- Blend cake mix, water, oil and eggs in large bowl at low speed until moistened (about 30 seconds). Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake immediately.
- Bake for 23 to 28 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool in pan on rack for 15 minutes; transfer directly to rack and let cool completely.
- Crumble 5 cups (1.25 L) cake (reserve remaining cake for another use).
- Place cake crumbles in large bowl. Beat in frosting, Pudding Cup, cinnamon and nutmeg until dough starts to form. Shape into 1 1/2-inch (4 cm) balls and transfer to parchment paper–lined tray. Freeze for about 15 minutes or until firm.
- Stir coconut oil into melted candy melts; dip tips of lollipop sticks into mixture and insert into each ball. Freeze for about 5 minutes or until set. Dip cake pops into remaining candy melt mixture, gently shaking excess back into bowl; place in plastic foam to stand upright.
- Decorate cake pops to resemble reindeer with candy eyes, red candy for nose and pretzels for antlers. Let stand until set.
- Tip: Chocolate lovers can substitute Devil’s Food Cake Mix for Duncan Hines® French Vanilla Cake Mix.