National Waffle Day is just a few days away and to have you all sorted out for this delicious holiday, we’re sharing this insanely good Chicken ‘n Waffles recipe straight from Chef Moe Stevenson of My Mama’s Kitchen in Norfolk, Virginia. Honestly what could be better than crispy chicken situated on top of a fluffy waffle, coated in maple syrup, walnuts, bacon, and powdered sugar?
Here’s how to make Chef Moe’s Chicken ‘n Waffles recipe!
- 4 cups self-rising flour
- 1 tbsp of vanilla
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 1 tbsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 of salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 stick of butter, melted
- splash of milk
- 2 chicken breasts, cubed
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1-2 tsp cornstarch
- vegetable oil for frying
- In a mixing bowl, whisk flour, sugar, and salt together. Create a well in the
center and add remaining wet ingredients: milk, eggs, melted butter and vanilla. Whisk
until the batter has formed. Try to not overmix.
- Preheat your waffle maker and brush both sides of the hot iron with melted butter
and pour in your batter. Cook waffles according to the recommended cook times for
your particular iron.
- In a bowl, coat the cubed chicken breasts with the cornstarch and salt & pepper. Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat and once hot, add the chicken bites and deep-fry for about 3-4 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown.
- In a frying pan cook chopped bacon to desired crispiness, remove from the pan. Pour out bacon fat until 1-2 tsp is left, throw in the chopped walnuts and cook until lightly toasted and add 1/3-1/4 cup of maple syrup, after 3 min add bacon and spoon the maple syrup, walnut, and bacon topping on top of the chicken bites and fresh waffles.
- Add powdered sugar if desired and enjoy!
Featured Image & Recipe: Chef Moe Stevenson