Love donuts but hate how unhealthy they can be? We’re with you and that’s why we’re beyond thrilled to share this Air Fried Donuts recipe courtesy of our friends at Ninja Kitchen. Air frying uses barely any oil and the result will have you thinking that whatever you made was in fact deep-fried. It’s truly a food miracle that these gadgets exist. This donut recipe is very simple to put together and you can choose whether you want a sugar topped one or if you’re dreaming of the glazed donut life. Whichever you opt for (we suggest both!), you’re in for a treat!
Here’s how to make a simple air-fried donut recipe!
- 250ml lukewarm whole milk
- 21g fresh yeast
- 50g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 60g butter, melted
- 450g strong white flour
- 1 tsp rapeseed oil
For sugar topping:
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
For the glaze:
- 90g butter
- 250g icing sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp hot water
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, stir together the milk, sugar
and crumble in the yeast and let it sit until foamy.
- Add sugar, salt, egg, melted butter and flour to the mixture. Mix until combined on low,
then increase to medium and mix until dough is elastic and smooth – about 5
- Cover bowl with cling film and let dough rise in a warm place until doubled – about
30 minutes. Dough is ready if you make a dent with your finger and the indentation
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and punch it down gently. Then roll it out
to about 2cm thick. Use a donut cutter or 2 biscuit cutters (one large, one small) to
punch out donuts.
- Transfer donuts, holes and rounds, to a large sheet of parchment paper and cover
lightly with cling film. Let donuts rise until doubled in volume – about 30 minutes.
- While the donuts rise, prepare the toppings. For the glaze, melt butter in a medium
saucepan, then add icing sugar and cook until smooth, then remove from heat and
add the vanilla and hot water – mix well and set aside. For the sugar coating:
Combine sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl and set aside.
- On your air fryer, select AIR FRY and set the temperature to 190°C then press START/STOP to begin preheating.
- When the unit beeps to signify it has preheated, carefully transfer 4-5 donuts to the
basket in a single layer and cook until golden brown – about 4 minutes. Remove
cooked donuts to a wire rack set over a rimmed baking sheet. Proceed to cook all
donuts and holes.
- For the sugar coating, when cooking is complete, brush donuts with rapeseed oil, and
then toss in the sugar mixture.
- For the glaze, when cooking is complete, dip the hot donuts into the glaze mixture using
forks to submerge them. Return to the wire rack and allow excess glaze to drip off,
and let sit until glaze hardens – about 10 minutes.
Featured Image & Recipe: Ninja Kitchen