There really isn’t anything better than a bowl of warm and comforting soup on a cold wintery day. While we certainly have a special place for classics like chicken noodle and minestrone, sometimes we want something a little more, well, extra. If you’re up for some heavy cooking that’s worth the effort, then this wild garlic soup recipe, courtesy of Vitamix, is just the ticket. These unique flavours all work together to give you a delicious, flavour-packed soup that’s anything but basic. Plus, find out how to make tasty marinated feta to sprinkle on top because why not, right?
This recipe calls for some ingredients that might not be available at your local grocery store but you can find them online. Of course, while we’re all hunkering down at home, you can always use whatever you have on hand.
Wild Garlic, New Potato and Black Onion Seed Soup:
- ½ (65 g) medium onion, halved
- ½ fennel bulb, finely sliced
- 1 stalk (100 g) celery, diced
- 1 leek, cleaned, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- ½ cup (40 g) fresh ginger root, finely chopped
- 4½ ounces (130 g) wild garlic, separated into stalks and leaves (both finely chopped), divided
- 18 ounces (500 g) potatoes
- 1 teaspoon black onion seeds
- 4¼ cups (1 l) vegetable broth
- flaky sea salt, to taste
- To make the wild garlic soup, sauté the onion, fennel, celery, leek, garlic and ginger in a large pan until soft. Add the wild garlic stalks and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and onion seeds, cover with vegetable stock and allow to gently simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add the wild garlic leaves and stir well. Add the soup to the Vitamix and secure the lid. Select Variable 1, start the machine and slowly increase to its highest speed. Blend until smooth and season to taste.
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons (150 ml) olive oil
- 10 curry leaves
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds
- ½ teaspoon black mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon Urfa chile flakes
- 2 cups (300 g) feta cheese, cut into cubes
- 6 other fresh basil leaves, shredded
- To make the marinated feta, place ½ cup oil in a small pan over moderate heat and add the curry leaves and dry spices. Fry for 1 to 2 minutes, until aromatic, then remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Pour the cooled spiced oil over the feta, along with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and the basil leaves. Gently toss the feta in the oil then refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use.
To serve, divide the wild garlic soup between bowls and crumble over the marinated feta. Sprinkle over a few black onion seeds and garnish with wild garlic flowers.
Photo and recipe: Vitamix