Craving some sunshine? While we can’t control the weather or cloud coverage, we can certainly help you brighten up your day through food. This ceviche recipe, courtesy of Jade Mountain Resort in St. Lucia, is bright, exciting, and most importantly, incredibly flavourful and easy to make.
If you’ve never made ceviche at home before, we know it can sound intimidating but the citrus juice “cooks” the fish just enough, making it safe for eating while giving it a unique tropical vibe that we’re all after these days. The key, whenever you’re consuming ceviche or any raw fish, is to source the best and most fresh fish possible. Trust us — it’s worth it to splurge!
Here’s how to make Jade Mountain’s Lionfish Ceviche!
- 1 pound lionfish*
- 1 tbsp Kosher salt
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 medium jalapenos (minced)
- 1 large sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 large firm mango, julienned
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp crushed red chili flakes
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup freshly picked cilantro leaves
*lionfish can be substituted for any fresh, mild, white fish
- Cut lionfish or fish of choice into short, thin, julienned pieces. Place in a stainless steel bowl and season with 2 teaspoons of salt.
- Pour lime juice over fish, cover, and refrigerate for half an hour
- Drain citrus juices using a colander. Pour the vinegar over the fish while tossing lightly
- Using a large bowl, add jalapenos, peppers, mango, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and chili flakes. Toss lightly and cover with olive oil. Cover and refrigerate to let set for at least a half-hour.
- Add cilantro and mix well before serving