There’s nothing like starting the day with a fresh, homemade bagel. While it sounds like a daunting task, Chef Romain is here to show you how easy it is. With a few techniques, making your own bagels is so gratifying and trust us — your family will thank you endlessly. We suggest taking a peek at Chef Romain’s video below so that you can be a pro in your own kitchen. Plus, don’t forget to spring for some good-quality smoked salmon because the cheap stuff just won’t cut it!
Here’s how to make Chef Romain Avril’s homemade bagel recipe!
Yields: 8 bagels
- 1½ cups warm water (110 degrees F)
- 2¾ tsp active dry yeast
- 4 cups bread (or AP flour)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2¼ tsp salt
- 1 Pc egg white
- 2 quarts water
- ¼ cup wild honey
- ½ cup mixed of seeds of choice
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 2 cups cream cheese, room temperature
- 16 slices wild smoked salmon
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Prepare the dough: Whisk the warm water and yeast together in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment. Cover and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the flour, brown sugar, and salt. Beat on low speed for 2 minutes. The dough is very stiff and will look somewhat dry.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. With lightly floured hands, knead the dough for 4-5 minutes. The dough is too heavy for the mixer to knead!
- Lightly grease a large bowl with oil or nonstick spray. Place the dough in the bowl, turning it to coat all sides in the oil. Cover the bowl with aluminum foil, plastic wrap, or a clean kitchen towel. Allow the dough to rise at room temperature for 60-90 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Shape the bagels: When the dough is ready, punch it down to release any air bubbles. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces. (Just eyeball it– doesn’t need to be perfect!) Shape each piece into a ball. Press your index finger through the center of each ball to make a hole about 1.5 – 2 inches in diameter. Watch the video above for a visual. Loosely cover the shaped bagels with a kitchen towel and rest for a few minutes as you prepare the water bath.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C).
- Water bath: Fill a large, wide pot with 2 quarts of water. Whisk in the honey. Bring water to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-high. Drop bagels in, 2-4 at a time, making sure they have enough room to float around. Cook the bagels for 1 minute on each side.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the egg wash on top and around the sides of each bagel.
- Place the bagels egg side down in the seeds mix of choice.
- Place 4 bagels onto each lined baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. You want the bagels to be a dark golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow bagels to cool on the baking sheets for 20 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To serve, slice the bagel in half and spread cream cheese first then top up with smoked salmon and cucumber.
- Add some olive oil and black pepper and enjoy!
Featured Image & Recipe: Chef Romain Avril