Looking to serve up a delicious and memorable brunch to your bubble or just for yourself? It doesn’t get any better than some hot French toast. If you want to kick it up a notch, add in some Nutella and caramelized bananas à la Chef Romain Avril and you might have everyone falling in love with you once they take a bite. This Nutella French Toast recipe is a cheffy twist on a classic that’s elevated but still has the same uncomplicated vibe we’ve come to know and love.
Here’s how to make Chef Romain Avril’s Nutella French Toast recipe!
Ingredients for caramelized bananas:
- 1 banana, cut in half
- 1 tbsp sugar
Ingredients for royale:
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
Ingredients for french toast:
- 4 challah slices (brioche or white bread is okay)
- ½ cup Nutella
- 1 can coconut fat
- 1 cup cornflakes
Method for Coconut fat:
- Place a can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight.
- Open the can and scoop the fat from the top while avoiding taking any of the milk.
- Place the fat back in the fridge.
- Split the banana in half and dust sugar on top.
- Caramelize bananas with a blow torch (alternatively, you can make caramel in a frying pan and coat bananas in it)
- In a mixing bowl, place the eggs and the sugar and whisk them until fluffy.
- Add the milk and vanilla and whisk to combine until smooth.
- Spread the hazelnut paste on a slice of the challah and sandwich it with another.
- Slice the French toast in half and place it in the Royale mix, making sure both sides are soaked up.
- Place a frying pan on medium-low heat and add a knob of butter.
- When the butter starts to foam, place the French toast and cook them until golden brown.
- Repeat the process on each side.
- Let it rest for 2 minutes, then spread Nutella on one of the sides and deep it with cornflakes.
- Place coconut fat on a plate then top with the French toast. Add the banana and serve.
- Time to enjoy. Bon appetit!
Featured Image & Recipe: Chef Romain Avril