If you ask us, there’s almost nothing better than enjoying a batch of fresh blueberry scones right out of the oven. Scones are one of the easiest baked goodies to whip up, even if you’re not the world’s best baker. This recipe is foolproof and can be ready in no time, making it the perfect breakfast or weekday baking project. Even though we’re busier than ever while working from home, we suggest taking a quick break from Zoom life and churn out a batch. You can thank us later!
Here’s how to make this recipe for blueberry scones!
Yields: 12 scones
- ½-¾ pint of fresh blueberries
- ¾ cup whole or buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 Tbs baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/3 cup butter, cut into small cubes & chilled
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the butter and with a pastry cutter cut the butter into the flour until you have a mixture that resembles cornmeal.
- Add the blueberries and gently stir to distribute the berries throughout the mixture. It’s okay if some of them get mushed.
- Add the milk and beaten egg and very gently stir to combine all the ingredients into a dough. Be careful not to over mix.
- Scrape out of the bowl onto a lightly floured surface and very gently knead 5-10 times just until combined.
- Cut the dough in half and form each half into a flattened round and use a cookie cutter to cut each round into 6.
- Place the scones onto an ungreased baking sheet, leaving space between each.
- Bake for 7 minutes then turn scones over and continue to bake for an additional 5-8 minutes until done and cooked through.
- Serve warm with butter and enjoy!